Subject: Re: Why Open Source Sucks for the Consumer
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:45:47 -0700
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:45:47 -0700
On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 04:01:38PM -0400, Jean Camp wrote:

> > Pre-installation should cover most of the issues you highlight
> >above.
>
> That is why I bought it pre-installed.

So did you get it "pre installed" or "packaged with"?  My understanding
comes closer to the latter.  I think that had to do with the "nothing
comes installed" bit from your post.

> >...or am I missing the point?
> >
> The larger point is that OS/FS is supposed to be THE arena where the
> network economy is truly understood.. The network economy would argue that
> billing and phone callls could be transferred to different entities without
> the user having to establish distinct contacts with each and every
> contracting entity.  Just like I do not have to know every contributor to
> integrate the patches.

I'm inclined to read this as somewhere between a non-sequiter and bovine
metabolytes.  Support requires context -- I find I do much better when I
can at least touch base with the same person on a problem, rather than
hopping from service rep to service rep.  Support and developer don't
have to be synonymous.

> The seamless interface issue I have is with the business relationships
> which are so  traditional. RH and Dell have an integrated ad campaign and
> production -- why not integrate the customer support? Wouldn't further
> integrating with independent consultants solve much of the feeding jr
> programmers problem as well?  I suspect that there are people in Cambridge
> who would love to help me out with an extremely wide range of  support
> services for an even wider range of prices.

Cf:  comp.os.linux.*

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]