Subject: Re: Why Open Source Sucks for the Consumer
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:33:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Tim> I see the Linux community largely taking its eye off the
>     Tim> ball.
>
> Well, yes.  It is the _Linux_ community.  If they were interested in
> maximizing the potential for OSS as a whole, they'd be doing grubby
> stuff (eeeewwww, marketing!) running FSBs, not hacking driver modules
> for Winmodems and ever more tacky reimplementations of XTerm.

    With all due respect, aren't you both confusing the job of fsbs with
that of free software developers and users?  Yes, you can argue that
higher market share will drive more better free software, and less dealing
with incompatible proprietary software (like getting MS Word documents
via email instead of something more friendly); but is that really the
point for the developers and users?   The market isn't everything after
all (foul words to an economist's ears, no doubt).

Lynn