Subject: Re: [Freesw] A new open source development lab
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:27:58 -0700

At 4:21 PM +0100 8/31/00, Ben Laurie wrote:
>I think its a bit cheeky to call it the "Open Source Development Lab"
>and then say that its mission is "to ensure that popular e-business
>programs run on the Linux platform" - why not tell it like it is and
>call it the "Closed Linux Development Lab"?

Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  If the lab allows
folks to boot the machines into *BSD as well, I don't much care *what*
they _call_ it.  The recent LinuxWorld show had some BSDish booths, as
I understand it; if the word "Linux" can be used to bring in the crowd,
I don't have a fundamental issue with its use...

<:->
I As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about referring to BSD systems as
as "BSD/Linux" systems.  As RMS correctly points out, the kernel is a
small part of the total distro; the rest is Apache, GNU, X11, etc.  My
FreeBSD system has many of the same pieces.  It has a BSD kernel and
utilities, but these are largely equivalent to the Linux versions.
</:->

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.cfcl.com/rdm