Subject: Re: Why Open Source Sucks for the Consumer
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:06:44 -0400

> Free? :-)

Actually, I just bought a bunch of Dell systems for our lab. I chose them
configured with Windows 2k because (a) they wouldn't ship the 933Mhz
machines with Linux (733's were fine, but they made excuses about
compatibility testing not having been done with the faster processor) and
(b) it was cheaper to order the damn boxes with Win2k, throw away the
coaster, and install Linux myself.

An interesting aside: the Win2k CD is crippleware -- it will only install on
a Dell box. In particular, it won't run on a VMware box on a Dell box. I"m
about to test the license by demanding my money back, since the M$ license
says I can transfer the copy....

shap