Subject: Re: NYT Times on Mainstream
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:33:55 +0200

I am not sure whether there is anything new here. Isn't it the case
that the US government was supporting Open Source software for years,
until the Bayh-Dole Act.
   That is how the Internet was created, and to a large extent how
Unix was developed.

   So having attempted to 20 years to manage things differently, they
discover it does not work so well after all, and come back to the
earlier approach that produced the current major source of economic
growth.

   Recognizing mistakes and acting on it seems wise.

Amicalement

   Bernard

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 04:14:04PM -0400, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > CODE NAME: MAINSTREAM
> > The President's Information Technology Advisory Committee, a
> > group of university researchers and corporate executives, will
> > issue a report advising President Clinton to support open-source
> > software as a way to meet the increasing demand for better
> > software.  The support of the federal government would be a
> > significant victory for proponents of open-source, who recently
> > have seen their ideology move from the fringe to the mainstream
> > of the computer-programming world.
>
> The US federal government has collectivized and centrally planned
> every other sector of the economy, why shouldn't they believe they own
> software?  Does anyone else see this as a screaming horror?
>

> A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu
> Brian Bartholomew - bb@wv.com - www.wv.com - Working Version, Cambridge, MA

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX