Subject: Re: Open-sourcing business operations code?
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:54:19 -0800
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:54:19 -0800
on Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 04:25:47PM -0500, Ben Tilly@trepp.com (Ben Tilly@trepp.com)
wrote:

> Insert analogies to spring cleaning as you feel appropriate. :-)

Actually, a more vivid analog might be swimsuit shopping....

Which brings to mind the old saw about statistics being like a bikini --
it reveals enough to capture your attention, but hides the really
interesting stuff....

Which then suggests a possible model for working out how to approach
opening up a proprietary application -- you want to show off the stuff
that makes you look good and gets other people's attention -- in a good
way -- while working to improve the parts that are fat, flabby, out of
shape, or just plain too dangerous to be revealed in public.

...though what I'm doing fixating on swimsuits as Northern Hemisphere
winter approaches I'm not quite sure....

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]