Subject: Re: Dealing with the Open Source community
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:20:30 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "tony" == tony stanco <stancoa@hotmail.com> writes:

    tony> But all I was saying before is that only one development
    tony> model or the other will win long term. In my opinion, there
    tony> is no peaceful co-existence between them, because there is a
    tony> fundamental inconsistency between the two at their core.

There is no fundamental inconsistency between open source software and
proprietary software in the same economy.  Not even in the same narrow
market: the BSDs and X11 proved that, and projects like Apache show
the proposition's continuing relevance to more recent innovations.

There isn't necessarily even inconsistency between proprietary
software and Copyleft.  Ghostscript proves that, although it's not
quite as proprietary as one might want for this example.  :-)

Agreed, there is an inconsistency between proprietary software and
RMS.  But RMS doesn't even speak for all Copyleft advocates.  And of
course proprietary developers wish they could coopt some of the nice
free software, while the free software movement wishes everybody would
open up.  But that conflict of interests is a different issue from
whether the models can coexist.