Subject: Re: Exporting Crypto in Practice
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2000 13:38:54 -0800

   From: davidw@prosa.it (David N. Welton)
   Date: 05 Dec 2000 21:53:45 +0100

   Remember, this is the same country that weeds out terrorists by
   asking, on the entry forms:

   http://www.usgreencard.com/forms/of-156.pdf

   "Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control
   violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any unlawful
   purpose?  Yes No"

My understanding is that that question is there so that the U.S. can
easily strip criminals of foreign origin of their visa/green
card/citizenship.  All the government has to do is convict them of a
crime, and then prove that they lied on the entry form.  Then they can
be deported, and be prohibited from reentering the U.S., after which
they are largely somebody else's problem.

Compare that to me, for example.  Although as it happens I was not
born in the U.S., I have a U.S. birth certificate and am thus a
U.S. citizen from birth, so even if I break the law in some way, the
U.S. is stuck with me and has to permit me to enter the country and
move about freely.  I don't think the U.S. could strip me of my
citizenship for anything short of high treason.

Ian