Subject: Re: Open source vs. Closed Source salaries?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2000 09:02:22 -0800

   Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:19:23 -0700
   From: Chris Rasch <crasch@openknowledge.org>

   Does anyone know what the median salary is for a full time programmer at
   the Free Software Foundation?  How many full-time programmers does the
   FSF employ?  Part time?

I don't know what things are like today.  But I know that a few years
ago the FSF employed three or four programmers, and that they received
wages which were noticeably lower than the industry average.  The FSF
is, after all, a charity.

When considering salaries of free software developers today, the FSF
proper is not an interesting datapoint.

   How do the salaries of open source software developers compare to the
   salaries of closed source developers?

In my experience, they are equal.

   According to this Datamation survey, as of June, 2000 the average open
   source developer earns 80,850/year and contracts out at  $74.00/hour:
   http://datamation.earthweb.com/dlink.resource-jhtml.72.963.%7Crepository%7C%7Citmanagement%7Ccontent%7Carticle%7C2000%7C07%7C31%7CEMrodgersdice0801%7CEMrodgersdice0801~xml.61.jhtml?cda=true

   Does the Datamation survey jibe with your experience?

To me, the salary and particularly the contracting rate seem low.  But
I'm used to Silicon Valley standards.

Ian