Subject: Re: Open source vs. Closed Source salaries?
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:15:40 -0500

> Does anyone know what the median salary is for a full time programmer at
> the Free Software Foundation?  How many full-time programmers does the
> FSF employ?  Part time?

Everyone at the FSF is paid the same, always has been.  (Though
I did hear a rumour a couple of years back that they'd started
paying the office staff --- the people who ship CDs, etc. ---
something like 80% of the standard salary).  Last time I knew what
it was (about 5 years ago), it was around $32k.  I've heard it
mentioned in the past few months; it was still in the 30s but I
don't recall exactly what.  So, less than half the datamation
survey's claimed average --- and this, mind you, in one of the
most expensive places to live in the country.

---Alex

Carl Alexander                                                    KD7GUR
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://web.mit.edu/~xela
------------- Work (where they call me 'Carl'):
carl@terc.edu     Sr. Systems & Network Administrator, TERC
                  http://www.terc.edu