Subject: Re: Open Source for Windows
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:10:44 -0800
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:10:44 -0800
on Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 02:30:34PM -0500, Glen Starchman (glen@enabledventures.com)
wrote:
> > There's also a possible concern about overly forking the free software
> > development community.
>
> Shouldn't the free software development community *grow*? Is there something
> evil about supporting platforms that are not GNU approved? What if instead of
> Windows we were discussing BeOS open source?

In the event it wasn't clear: I've raised and dismissed the concern, for
reasons stated by both of us.

> > My suspicion is that the real issues with the acceptability of
> > GNU/Linux, or any other OS, is support, support, support:
>
> I have been discussing with a few people the idea of creating an
> installation of Linux and/or BSD that is idiot-proof. Meaning that the
> end user, who might be a complete neophyte, doesn't have to edit init
> scripts or install software using a command line rpm or apt. I am
> talking about the perceived bells and whistles of Windows 2000 sitting
> on top of the power of Linux/BSD. Projects such as Eazel are a good
> start, but they focus solely on the user interface.  I would like to
> see a system that is built for the neophyte from the ground up, but
> with the ability to let the more advanced user get under the hood.

Cf:  SEUL:  simple end-user Linux.  http://www.seul.org/

IMO that's a slightly misguided.  Look at appliance systems for those
who don't want configurability, and centralized management (wether it's
diskless, "push" administration, or some other system) for workplaces in
which multiple systems are maintained.  Legacy MS Windows setup and
maintenance is no piece of cake either.  GNU/Linux introduces a new
paradigm and potential new complexities, but that's not what we're
pushing.  You might also look at the Symbian platform.  I believe this
is also something of a tangent to your initial goal.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]