Subject: Re: Can my company sell this product?
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:30:35 -0800
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:30:35 -0800
on Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 09:39:25PM -0500, crt@highvision.com (crt@highvision.com) wrote:

> I have built an application on top of GPLed software that my company
> wants to be able to sell.  Some of the work is modification of the
> free software and other parts are my code outside of those systems.  I
> am telling my company that they can copyright and sell the code I have
> written ouside of these systems while distributing it with the free
> software.  Am I on the right track?

You're asking a potentially complex legal question in a very ambiguous
way.  I'd recommend contacting a lawyer.

If you're in the US or most other Berne Treaty singatory nations,
copyright is something which effectively just happens, it doesn't have
to be secured.  I suspect you're asking about how you can license the
code you develope.  This depends very much on how it relates to the GPLd
component.  As an example, aggregating multiple programs with the GPLd
Linux kernel and other GPLd software in a GNU/Linux distribution doesn't
force all the distributed software to be GPLd.  However, creating a
derivative work of the original GPLd software most likely would.

The GPL has no prohibitions against commercial sale of free software.
It *does* restrict  your  ability to put restrictions on third parties'
rights to modify, copy, and distribute a GPLd work.

IANAL, this is not legal advice.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]