Subject: Re: Latest on CPRM at the Register
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:43:17 -0800

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 03:48:21AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> There's a nice summary of points regarding CPRM just posted to the
> Register, addresses several issues raised here, including the social
> equity (publishers as a societal/market/power nexus), and the very
> interesting question of why Microsoft would object to such an effective
> anti-piracy measure.

Because Microsoft wants to control all DRM themselves at the Windows
level.

Because OEMs install Windows using hardware disk duplicators, and if
they had to stop they would demand a better Windows install program.

Because they're concerned about making system administration tasks, such
as defragmenting drives and restoring from backups, more difficult for
companies that use Windows.

(OK, I know that the last one is a little farfetched)