Subject: Re: Latest on CPRM at the Register
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:03:10 -0500

> Because they're concerned about making system administration tasks, such
> as defragmenting drives and restoring from backups, more difficult for
> companies that use Windows.
>
> (OK, I know that the last one is a little farfetched)

Not if slightly rephrased:

Because they are scared out of their minds at supporting the cost of the
telephone support calls that will result when users are unable to perform
simple system administration tasks, such as defragmenting drives and
restoring from backups.

Perhaps we should consider placing a tax on CPRM distributors similar to the
audio tape tax, since it is creating a new burden of support on the
industry. I hate this strategy, but a sufficiently burdensome and regressive
tax against CPRM is something I would not object to. Heck, they're trying to
screw the users with anti-tampering regulation. Why don't the users screw
back?

Don't bother. I just had to get that out of my system.

Jonathan