Subject: Re: Latest on CPRM at the Register
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 01:33:10 +0100

Hi,

  for my bibliography, what is the proper reference for:
   On Software "Piracy", Lies, BSA, Microsoft, Rocks, and Hard Penguins
   http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/piracy.html

   which is the correct URL for the paper ... you made a mistake
in your message below.

   What is the date for that paper.

Happy Holidays

Bernard

PS I fully agree with the conclusion (no time yet to read the whole
paper)

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 01:55:55PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 09:43:17AM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 03:48:21AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > > There's a nice summary of points regarding CPRM just posted to the
> > > Register, addresses several issues raised here, including the social
> > > equity (publishers as a societal/market/power nexus), and the very
> > > interesting question of why Microsoft would object to such an effective
> > > anti-piracy measure.
> >
> > Because Microsoft wants to control all DRM themselves at the Windows
> > level.
> >
> > Because OEMs install Windows using hardware disk duplicators, and if
> > they had to stop they would demand a better Windows install program.
> >
> > Because they're concerned about making system administration tasks, such
> > as defragmenting drives and restoring from backups, more difficult for
> > companies that use Windows.
>
> If I may posit:
>
>     Because, despite frequent and loud protests to the contrary, piracy
>     is an accepted and implicit distribution model for Microsoft
>     software.  Users who can't pay for it won't, whatever.  The users
>     who can, will be offered sweetheart license conversion deals through
>     its <*cough*> independent BSA subsidiary/strongarm racket.  Pirate
>     installs of MSFT wares are preferable to legit installs of
>     alternatives, particularly GNU/Linux or *BSD.
>
> See also the Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/) -- search for
> keywords "piracy" or "BSA" and read what follows.  Or take a look at
>
>     http://kmself.netcom.com/Rants/piracy.html
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  Evangelist, Zelerate, Inc.                      http://www.zelerate.org
>   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?      There is no K5 cabal
>    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/        http://www.kuro5hin.org

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX