Subject: Re: Latest on CPRM at the Register
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:59:56 -0800
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:59:56 -0800
on Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 01:33:10AM +0100, Bernard Lang (Bernard.Lang@inria.fr) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   for my bibliography, what is the proper reference for:
>    On Software "Piracy", Lies, BSA, Microsoft, Rocks, and Hard Penguins
>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/piracy.html
>
>    which is the correct URL for the paper ... you made a mistake
> in your message below.

Wups.  Thanks.

Um.  It's still in progress, call it a working draft.  Title as given.
Author would be me.  First date of publication:  Date: 02 Jul 1998
00:00:00 GMT, posted to misc.legal.computing.

I'd like to add a few things to it, including:

  - Followup conversation with Hal Varian, UC Berkeley, who opined that
    it wasn't completely out in left field (actually, I think the phrase
    was "looks about right to me").

  - Followup of news developments.  There have been reports largely
    validating what I'd predicted in the inital posting -- cost of
    software in Hong Kong and other high-piracy markets, various
    enforcement actions (usually of the sweetheart deal mentioned in the
    post), emergence of (and apparent official adoption of) GNU/Linux in
    China ("Red Flag Linux").

I hadn't previously posted this but have wanted to for the past couple
of years, Don's message was a necessary goad.

>    What is the date for that paper.
>
> Happy Holidays
>
> Bernard
>
> PS I fully agree with the conclusion (no time yet to read the whole
> paper)

Well, I'm interested in feedback on the arguments as well.  Hey,
Stephen, care to bash my head against *another* wall this week?

> On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 01:55:55PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > on Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 09:43:17AM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:

> > > Because Microsoft wants to control all DRM themselves at the Windows
> > > level.
> > >
> > > Because OEMs install Windows using hardware disk duplicators, and if
> > > they had to stop they would demand a better Windows install program.
> > >
> > > Because they're concerned about making system administration tasks, such
> > > as defragmenting drives and restoring from backups, more difficult for
> > > companies that use Windows.
> >
> > If I may posit:
> >
> >     Because, despite frequent and loud protests to the contrary, piracy
> >     is an accepted and implicit distribution model for Microsoft
> >     software.  Users who can't pay for it won't, whatever.  The users
> >     who can, will be offered sweetheart license conversion deals through
> >     its <*cough*> independent BSA subsidiary/strongarm racket.  Pirate
> >     installs of MSFT wares are preferable to legit installs of
> >     alternatives, particularly GNU/Linux or *BSD.
> >
> > See also the Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/) -- search for
> > keywords "piracy" or "BSA" and read what follows.  Or take a look at
> >
> >     http://kmself.netcom.com/Rants/piracy.html
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > --
> > Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
> >  Evangelist, Zelerate, Inc.                      http://www.zelerate.org
> >   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?      There is no K5 cabal
> >    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/        http://www.kuro5hin.org
>

> --
>          Non aux Brevets Logiciels  -  No to Software Patents
>            SIGNEZ    http://petition.eurolinux.org/    SIGN
>
> Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,   /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 1 3963 5469
>             INRIA / B.P. 105 / 78153 Le Chesnay CEDEX / France
>          Je n'exprime que mon opinion - I express only my opinion
>                  CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]