Subject: Re: PGP CREATOR, NAI SPLIT OVER OPEN SOURCE DIFFERENCES
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:13:09 +0100

What about the Ada Core Technologies model ...

most of the stuff is GPL (not the tools they use for development or
test, I believe).
 But the product is free ... just they are not in a hurry to release
publicly the latest version they sell to customers, as I understand it
... and they sell service.

Bernard

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 06:21:33PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> writes:
>
> > At 1:14 PM -0500 2/25/01, Russell Nelson wrote:
> > >If you hold back nothing as proprietary, you are the proprietor of
> > >nothing.  Instead, you are a philanthropist.  Capitalists and
> > >philanthropists are separate (useful) roles in a society.
> >
> > At the risk of getting stomped by the Real Economists (TM) on this
> > list, I think you are overstating the case.  There is a name for
> > markets where nothing is proprietary: "pure competition".  There is
> > perfect communication between buyers and sellers and no barriers to
> > entry.  Wholesale grain markets, retail gasoline, and "shovelware"
> > CDs are all examples of this kind of market.
>
> Well, but Russ said ``You could hold back physical items: CDs, books,
> or hardware encryptors or tokens.''  The people in your examples are
> holding back physical items: grain, gasoline, and CDs.
>
> If you are a pure software vendor with no associated hardware, then it
> is possible, in principle, to hold back nothing.  Then you become, as
> Russ said, a philathropist, who gives everything away from largesse.
> Alternatively, you become a academic scientist, who is paid by an
> institution of higher learning to give everything away.  Or there are
> probably other possibilities.
>
> Ian

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX