Subject: Re: PGP CREATOR, NAI SPLIT OVER OPEN SOURCE DIFFERENCES
From: DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:49:08 -0500

> model.  If you give *everything* away, then you have nothing to sell,
> literally.  You could hold back physical items: CDs, books, or

Is it feasible to hold back the direction of technical progress?
Would people pay to choose what gets developed next?  I'm not talking
about contract engineering, but of basic research and development.  A
lot of times when I'm arguing the free software model, one of the
value addeds I talk about is the "get it when you need it, not after"
effect - customers are willing to pay for a schedule, regardless of
what happens to the software after the schedule is met (as long as
they get their copy).  Can this be applied at a more fundamental
level?

Side note: when we were designing our house, the architect asked if we
minded if he shows our plans to other people for ideas.  I told him I
paid to have plans available for me when I needed them, not for the
rights to the plans themselves, and that I didn't care what they did
with the plans as long as I got my copy.  He seemed surprised at that.