Subject: Re: Leadership qualities
From: Frank Hecker <frank@collab.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:50:38 -0500

Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 12:55 PM 2/26/01 -0500, Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
> >I don't know if this can be found online, but a friend of mine just
> >sent a copy of an article called "Level 5 Leadership" from the January
> >Harvard Business Review.
<snip>
> Thanks for the reference.  You can pay HBR to download a full copy, or get
> it directly from the author:
>
>   http://www.jimcollins.com/pageload.asp?pagename=mai_pubs.html

Apropos of issues previously discussed on the fsb list, this is actually
a pretty good example of "information product versioning" as discussed
by Varian and Shapiro.

First you have the freely downloadable version at jimcollins.com, which
is segmented into five different sections; each section is then
displayed in a special browser window without the normal "print" button.
This all makes it more inconvenient to print a copy of the article and
thus less attractive for the reader who prefers reading things off-line.

Then you have the regular HBR reprint at $5.50 a copy, in PDF format for
easy printing:

http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/prod_detail.asp?R0101D

And finally you have the special "HBR OnPoint Enhanced Edition" at $6.50
a copy, which adds extra material including a one-page "executive level"
overview and a two-page annotated bibliography:

http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/prod_detail.asp?5831

In the interests of research (and because I prefer reading longer
articles off-line) I bought a copy of the Onpoint version. FWIW, given
that I wanted to get a PDF version anyway I thought the extra material
was worth a dollar, particularly the bibliography, which (among other
things) pointed to other HBR articles on leadership which espoused
contrasting views. (And of course listing such articles is a good way to
encourage people to buy more HBR reprints :-)

Frank
--
Frank Hecker            work: http://www.collab.net/
frank@collab.net        home: http://www.hecker.org/