Subject: Re: Leadership qualities
From: Frank Hecker <frank@collab.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:28:52 -0500

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote rw Jim Collins' "Level 5 Leadership":
> The study has also produced a full book, "Good to Great", by Jim
> Collins which I have not yet read.  However if it is as stimulating
> as the article then I am looking forward to reading it.

Actually "Good to Great" hasn't been published yet (Amazon doesn't even
has it listed) so you'll have to wait a while to read it.

In the meantime I recommend you check out Collins' book "Built to Last"
or one of the articles related to it. Collins puts a lot of stress on
commonly-held core values as a foundation for long-term corporate
success, something I happen to agree with. I also note that Collins
believes that the predominant way corporations get consistent core
values is by hiring and retaining people who already are sympathetic to
them, and getting rid of people who are not. (See for example the item
"First Who" in the "Not by Level 5 Alone" sidebar comment.) Based on my
experience I agree with this point as well. For more on this from
Collins, see his article "Aligning Action and Values".

Other Collins articles I've liked include "Best Beats First" (which
always consoles me when I look at the Mozilla schedule :-) and "Built to
Flip" (which presciently appeared just before the dot-com meltdown). All
are on the jimcollins.com site referenced earlier.

Frank
--
Frank Hecker            work: http://www.collab.net/
frank@collab.net        home: http://www.hecker.org/