Subject: Re: SourceXchange shuts down
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:51:46 -0700 (PDT)

On 5 Apr 2001, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> SourceXchange shuts down:
>     http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-04-05-017-20-NW-CY

To be honest, the site has been awful quiet for a long time, so this is
more of a housecleaning than anything else.  After an initial spurt of
interest, and a couple successfully completed projects, we found that the
overhead of being the broker and having to hand-hold developers and
sponsors was more cost than what we were getting in return.

More significantly, I think, companies who were comfortable with using and
funding open source development would rather have their in-house teams do
that work, improving both the happiness and competence of their own
engineers, than to outsource it.

So at the end of the day, it was a hard thing to sell, and after waiting
to see if the market conditions would change to favor outsourcing more
(they didn't), we decided to make the shutdown official.  There's probably
lots of Tuesday-morning quarterbacking one could do on how well we
executed on the idea, but... ah well.

If someone else wants to give this idea a try, let us know; we haven't
packaged up the source code to the sourcexchange process management
interface, but would if someone was really interested in it.

The other business, software development infrastructure, based on open
source tools and provided as an ASP, is doing very well, even in this
market.

	Brian