Subject: Re: GNU and classified software
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:07:26 -0700

To make the question explicit, consider the following scenario:

   An arm of the US Government is putting together an embedded system
   which will be used in a classified manner.  The system uses a
   special-purpose processor which needs a customized C compiler.  A
   contractor on the project decides to use GCC as the basis for the
   new compiler, delivering both the source and binary code for the
   new compiler to the government agency.  The agency then allows its
   employees and other contractors access to the compiler.

IP aspects aside, I have seen exactly this sort of situation arise
(well, it was actually an assembler/linker combination :-), so I can
affirm that this sort of issue is not unrealistic.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - home page, resume, etc.
http://www.cfcl.com/Meta/md_fb.html - The FreeBSD Browser