Subject: Re: Apple and Open Source
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 21:18:00 -0700 (PDT)

Apple's been an excellent participant in the Apache Software Foundation,
contributing significantly on the httpd project and peripherally on a
couple others.  They hosted a "hackathon" last month for those attending
the ApacheCon conference, where for two days before the show they provided
a large room and wireless for about 70 people.  Not as significant as a
big yummy code drop, perhaps, but still pretty useful.  I also think that
a substantial portion of the Apple engineering team understand that the
only way to build a product on top of open source components is to make
sure those components themselves are solid, thus contributing patches
back, etc.  I don't see too much difference between the mix of open/closed
source in Mac OS X and IBM's Websphere, for example.  Similar approaches
to the open source community, as well.  IBM does do more big code drops to
the community, but they have an order of magnitude or two more cash to
spend on pure R&D than Apple does, and a lot of old tech looking for a new
home.  =)

> That might figure; the "look-but-don't-touch" nature of the APSL finds
> echoes in Microsoft's planned response to Open Source:
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-05-02-019-20-NW-CY-MS

Whether or not the APSL is truly qualified as Open Source software, I
think it's a long way from being a "gated community" as it sounds like MS
is proposing.  But even if it were the same, access to the source code of
a program one still has to pay for is still better than no access at all.
Doesn't negate Raymond's other fine points.

	Brian