Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!? (LONG. COMPREHENSIVE)
From: "Edward J. Huff" <edward.huff@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:48:40 -0400

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Adam Theo <adamtheo@theoretic.com> wrote:
>
> > that would allow me, as Mr. Blankley put it, to be compensated for my
> > investment in development while still allowing the*source* of my work
> > to be widely viewable by users and third-party developers alike.
>
> Ok, that makes a lot of sense.  (I also want to be compensated
> for my investment in development of the Free Software program
> that I'm working on.)

I also would like to find a way to make money developing free software.

One possible approach which hasn't been mentioned is "The Street
Performer Protocol."  See

http://www.counterpane.com/street_performer.html

(I tried to search the archives at http://www.crynwr.com/fsb/ to see if
Street Performer has been discussed, but there doesn't seem to be a
search button and google doesn't seem to index the archives).

Basically, your subscribers commit to paying you after you have written
the software but before you release it.  If you get enough money
committed, you release it.  If you were honest in your description, you
get paid.