Subject: Re: [Freesw] priorart.org
From: Adam Theo <adamtheo@theoretic.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:12:07 -0400

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
    It is useful for us to have the ability to search the database for
    that purpose.  But why offer the facility to possible patent
    applicants?

why not? as i see it, not only are patents going to exist well into the future, and
continue to be a driving force in business and creative enterprises, but they are, at
heart, a good thing. It would be nice to turn back the clock to when patents and IP
law was good and fair, but we must also consider that the world today couldn't handle
the patent system of old (or the other way around, however you want to look at it).

the next best thing IMO is to openly allow patent applicants to easily search prior
art/past patents. the one thing that needs to be changed is to allow these patent applications
to be accepted more often. this may seems strange, possibly insane, but as i see it,
lots of patents, patents that only differ from each other in slight, yet effective,
ways. having lots of monopoly patents in a related field is the next best thing to no
monopoly patents at all, correct? much better than the status quo, where the powerful
effectively rule over *entire concepts* with the government's blessings.
--
   /\    --- Adam Theo ---
  //\\   Theoretic Solutions (www.Theoretic.com)