Subject: Re: [Freesw] priorart.org
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:25:44 -0700

   Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:14:44 -0600 (MDT)
   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>

       It seems to me that a searchable database of prior art is actually
       useful for the purpose of showing that a patent shouldn't have been
       granted.

   It is useful for us to have the ability to search the database for
   that purpose.  But why offer the facility to possible patent
   applicants?

Richard, you didn't quote the paragraph which followed:

      The problem that many list members have with the concept of a prior
      art database is that of its availability to the patent examiner and
      patent creator.

And then later:

      Or, perhaps simply explicitly stated: "The use of this database is
      limited to the membership of the 'I Don't Like Software Patents' club.

So, my solution didn't offer that facility to patent applicants; you
have to be a club member in order to utilize it -- and access to the
club is restricted.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit