Subject: Re: [Freesw] priorart.org
From: Seth Gordon <sethg@ropine.com>
Date: 15 May 2001 11:40:37 -0000

   Adam Theo:
   this may seems strange, possibly insane, but as i see
   it, lots of patents, patents that only differ from each other in
   slight, yet effective, ways. having lots of monopoly patents in a
   related field is the next best thing to no monopoly patents at all,
   correct?

A company with deep pockets (say, in the oil or the pharmaceutical
business) can search for patents that affect its business, hire
lawyers to help its scientists "invent around" other people's patents,
and cut deals with outside patent-holders when necessary.  (Sometimes,
these deals are of the form "we'll let you use our patents if you let
us use yours".)

Your average free-software developer simply does not have the time or
money to do all this.

--
"Rav would never cross a bridge when an idolator was on it; he said, 'Maybe he
will be judged and I will be taken with him.'  Shmuel would only cross a