Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: kragen@pobox.com
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 04:33:27 -0400 (EDT)

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> writes:
> What's fascinating to me about F is that it can generate "industrial
> strength" (pun is the whole point) economic effects without financial
> capital beyond individuals' willingness to accept compensation in
> kind, and in small amounts.  F somehow putters along, demanding little
> from charity and often without being asked for by anyone, and in the
> process changes the world.

This is the nature of unrestricted information, and always has been.
It's the primary force distinguishing this century from the one
before, distinguishing Britain of the 1800s from the other European
nations, distinguishing Europe of the 1500s from the Americas,
distinguishing modern medicine from witch-doctoring, and
distinguishing science from superstition.

Free software changing the world should surprise no one who
understands what the academic tradition has done for the world and how
free software naturally proceeds from that tradition.