Subject: dumb GPL question
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:29:12 +0200

Hi,

A few dumb questions, just to make sure I am not making mistakes :

is it OK to link GPL code to preexisting non-GPL code (for example a
library) ?

else, how can one write GPL code in a non-GPL language ?
  (i.e. a language with no GPL implementation, especially of the
run-time library, even though it may be open-source)

How can one force users of free code to acknowledge the original
authors in a specific way ?
  - not possible with GPL
  - not with LGPL
  - but LGPL can be modified in this respect with no significant other effect
  - and of course any free-style open-source licence can do it.

All comments appreciated

cordialement,

Bernard

PS to avoid spurious advice:
   This is not for myself ... I am trying to convince other people,
and some points are clearly not open for discussion, such as the fact
that they want clear acknowledgement in derived code.

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX