Subject: Re: dumb GPL question
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 06 Jun 2001 11:30:03 -0700

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:

> > it is not some U.S. law that restricts this?
>
> I think the only US law that applies is the one that says that you
> must follow the license terms, whatever they may be.  By using the
> code, you agree to the license terms, and are bound by them, whatever
> they may be.

I want to mention that there is a lot of U.S. law which says that if
you purchase a product, you have a lot of rights, even if the license
attempts to deny you those rights.  For example, you have the right to
expect that the product more or less behaves as described, and you
have the right to expect that the product does not actively try to
kill you without warning.  There is a lot of information at
http://www.consumer.gov/.

Ian