Subject: Re: Licenses for "Running"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:39:25 +0900

>>>>> "Ian" == Ian Lance Taylor <> writes:

    >> hm... so right now, for software (or other electronic media)
    >> there are 'Copyright Licenses' (such as proprietary licenses
    >> and the GPL, etc.), and 'Usage Licenses' (the various EULA's
    >> used by microsoft and others).

    Ian> Yes, and there are normal contracts.

And there's the "technical solution" of hiding it behind your
firewall, aka being an ASP.

"Expensive!" you say?  So are lawyers.  It's a tradeoff between the
costs of "custom service" and the benefits of having complete control
of the physical hosts where the application is allowed to run.

Probably not relevant for your alarm clock, but maybe for something
else you'll want to do someday.

University of Tsukuba                Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences       Tel/fax: +81 (298) 53-5091
_________________  _________________  _________________  _________________
What are those straight lines for?  "XEmacs rules."