Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:53:28 -0700

begin Ian Lance Taylor quotation of Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:36:58AM -0700:

> Well, yes.  Why is that bad?  My personal web pages says what I
> personally want them to say.  They are intended to convey a particular
> set of information when viewed by a web browser.  It's OK with me if
> somebody uses a third party annotation service when it is clear that
> that is what they are doing.  It is not OK with me if the web browser
> itself changes the presentation.  It breaks the implied contract I was
> expecting when I created the web pages.  It makes me say something
> other than what I intended.

AFAIK, users will be able to tell Smart Tags from links in the original
HTML.  So it will be clear that they're done by the browser, and are
not part of your original.

> I've wanted a good annotation service for a long time.  Based on what
> I have read, Microsoft is providing a bad one.  That is not a step
> forward.

Then it's something to be better than.  Major opportunity for free
software.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti    -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.
dmarti@zgp.org    Free the Web, burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/