Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:50:35 +0900

    Thomas> Sorry, but if you support Smart Tags, you'll also support
    Thomas> what I've done to this email.

:-)

Well, of course.  The whole point of posting to a mailing list is so
that it can be quoted and serve as tinder.

But it's a poor analogy.  You see, everybody already saw my post as
it was intended to be read; your satire followed.  What Ian is upset
about is that because of Microsoft's market power, most users will by
default not see his page as he intended, and because of the Bovinity
Principle, the vast majority of the users _will_ accept that default.

I'm sure that's a damn shame.  They'll never know what they're
missing.  But that's their right, and making it ever more expensive
for Microsoft to lead them by the nose is not likely to change their
minds---they'll just pay more for the privilege.  Lose-lose.