Subject: Re: Is the party over? was Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: Adam Theo <adamtheo@theoretic.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:51:03 -0400

 >>> I hear about things like Passport/Hailstorm and I can
self-righteously say that I'll never sign up for it, but will
I even have a choice?

yes, this is one of the things that i and many co-developers on Jabber
(the open source instant messaging/communication system) are afriad of.
not the desktop or browsers, really, but this 'distributed computing'
(.Net) and 'universal identity' system. i consider MS's .net and
hailstorm to be brilliant, and thank them for showing us the way the
internet is going to be heading(i truely do think they are essentially
great ideas at heart). but we all agree it should not be controlled by
one or even a few organizations, and want to see an open source,
standard system arise.

it is under this that a few of us are getting to gether to start
brainstorming on how we can use Jabber to make the open source response
to Passport/Hailstrom. by creating a open source universal identity
system where a user just logs in once (to jabber) and can then
automatoically sign up with services accross the internet. all using
safety, security, privacy, and complete control on the user's part, not
the service's or system.

if anyone here is experienced in xml or c, as well as perl or
javascript, and interested in helping out such a project, contact me
email: adamtheo@theoretic.com jabber: adamtheo@jabber.org AIM: Adam Theo
2000 icq: 3617306
we are working on making something tangible and usable before really
promoting it, since there have been a few previous atempts that have
been hyped and flopped.

 >>> AOL/Time-Warner will kneel before it's master
just to get that icon on WinXP. Netscape has
abandoned the browser. (At least we have the
source).

this i doubt (the aol bowing). think in the future internet, there will
be 3 major players: Microsoft (with MSN, .Net and Hailstorm, and vast
software skills), AOL Time Warner (with the AOL user base and
AOL/Netcenter portals, plus Time Warners vast content), and possibly in
distant third, Disney (with some content, and i see some aquisitions on
the horizon for it, poissibly buying yahoo! portal and some ISP).

 >>> The only company holding a carrot over M$ is Tivo
with their patents. I assume a purchase is inevitable.

yes, i have thought the same thing.