Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:49:26 +0900

    Ian> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> writes:
    >> These are not "contract violations."  IMO.  Having only seen
    >> verbal descriptions (and a satire) of Smart Tags[tm], I
    >> tentatively conclude they are a natural extension of generated
    >> glossaries.  Am I missing something?

    Ian> No.  The issue for me is how they are presented.

oops.

    Ian> Consumers may of course speak against smart tags, and get it
    Ian> removed, as they spoke against the dancing paper clip.  But
    Ian> history shows that it may take several troubling years.

    >> If a consumer can't find his way through
    >> Edit/Preferences/NotInYourBestInterest/M$Disapproves/You'reMissingStuff
    >> to disable the feature, he doesn't dislike it very much.

    Ian> Or he doesn't understand how to set preferences, or doesn't
    Ian> bother

oops.

What you are saying is that you believe consumers by and large are
children and shouldn't be allowed to use dangerous electrical
appliances like computers without adult supervision.

I'm similarly elitist, but there's the quis custode problem; I've got
better things to do with my time.  Don't you?  Which means in the end
all one can really do is bleat (choose your own word for what _you_ do,
speaking for myself _I_ used to bleat) about monopolies and their "moral
responsibility".  Because the monopoly _will_ capture the regulator, and
very quickly, for this kind of thing.