Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:08:42 +0900

    Ian> My understanding of Smart Tags agrees with your understanding.

    Ian> Do you think that is always OK to add gloss to content?  Even
    Ian> when that gloss can be easily confused with information added
    Ian> by the author?  Where is the line?

Theoretically, no, it is not always OK.  I know where the line is for
me, too, but you'd have to ask case by case; I doubt I could express
it in words.

In practice, people will disagree where the line is drawn, and by a
lot.  Sometimes is is determined by techical issues (eg, rikai.com
uses ordinary links to gloss).  Other times the glosser may have
opinions about presentation, or may be responding to perceived
consumer taste.  I don't see any moral responsibility for Microsoft to
adopt my definition, which is probably as strict as yours.

I concede your various points about not presenting your opinion
correctly.  Again, my apologies.

I'll answer the rest in private mail, I think it is way off-topic for
fsb.  Third parties are welcome to join (unless Ian prefers not, ask
him ;-).