Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:32:59 +0900

    Zimran> technology is too hard to use. people don't like it. and
    Zimran> people don't care.

Automobile.  TV.  VCR.  Microwave oven.  Non-technological?  Nope.
Just embedded.

    Zimran> software has to deliver a good experience to be adopted.

I suspect that to deliver as good an experience as the above, it will
need to be embedded, just as they are (all of them are chock-full of
software nowadays, no?)  So much for "free" ... I don't know anybody
who flashes the GPLed PROMs in their microwave.

And I think there's an inherent contradiction between targeting the
"average user", who wants a problem-specific muscle-memory-driven
interface, and "software", at least as we know it as OSS developers
oriented toward general-purpose computers.

I agree with your analysis and the program you propose, in general,
but I don't think there's as much business opportunity there as you
seem to.  Certainly Tomy's former VCs don't, either :-(.  And they're
supposed to be good at those judgements.