Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:56:58 +0200

Thanks

It looks to me like the standard encyclopedia technique ... you are
reading a text, and you can click on any word to get the definition.

But my impression is that MS proposes to modify the actual text to
insert tags automatically (with an editor) rather than do it on the
fly, e.g. with a browser, which is much smarter, dynamic and
adaptable.

  BTW, another useful kind of links (and this is not new either, far
from it) is to have the links in a file separate from the main file to
be read.  When reading a file, one can associate an arbitrary number
of link files, which do not change the text, but cause new links to
exists and be clickable.  Applications are many.

Bernard

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 03:54:01PM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> > would anyone care to give a reference to a precise descritpion of
> > smart tags.  I can more or less guess... but not with enough
> > precision.
>
>   http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/xp/smarttags.asp
>
> It doesn't state a lot, though. Sure it doesn't talk about browsers.
> More interesting, an ms example on how to use them. It looks like
> it's a author tool rather than a reader tool.
>
> I have no references for this, just a copy from a local discussion list.
>
> ---------

> xmlns:odc="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:smarttags">
>
> <head>
> <title>Smart Tag Example</title>
> <o:SmartTagType
> name="msdngenwebsites"
> namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:smarttags"
> </o:SmartTagType>
> <OBJECT
> classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>
> </OBJECT>
> <STYLE>
>         odc\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui)}
> </STYLE>
> </head>

learn more about how to enhance your <odc:msdngenwebsites>code</odc:msdngen
> websites> in <odc:msdngenwebsites>Office</odc:msdngenwebsites> <odc:msdngenwebsites>VBA</odc:msdngenwebsites>,
visit <odc:msdngenwebsites>MSDN</odc:msdngenwe
> bsites> <odc:msdngenwebsites>Online</odc:msdngenwebsites>, a great resource for <odc:msdngenwebsites>developers</odc:msdngenwebsites>.</p>
should appear underneath some of the words in the previous sentence. Whe
> n you rest your mouse pointer on one of these purple underlined words, the <b>Smart
Tag Options</b> button should appear. Clicking the <b>Smart Tag Options</
> b> button should display a list of actions from which you can choose.</p>
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart Tag\Lists</b> folder
> before viewing this Web page, or else smart tags will not be activated for this Web
page.

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX