Subject: Re: [FYI] Microsoft license spurns open source
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:57:19 -0400 (EDT)

One Daniel Ravicher writes:
> I hear what you are saying, but I guess we are just going to have to
> respectfully agree to disagree.  Thanks for engaging in the discussion.
>
> All the best,
> --Dan

I don't think there's any need to respectfully agree to disagree.  This
is a simple matter of law, not of individual opinion, and I don't think
it's a particularly debatable point of law.

The fact is that there are things you are allowed to do with
copyrighted works without infringing the copyright; if you are not
infringing the copyright, the question of fair use does not even
arise.  This is not a matter of opinion.

Normally I wouldn't go after someone like this, but I think it's more
important for readers of this list to have correct information about
copyright than for Daniel Ravicher's pride to be saved.  Daniel, please
admit your error or defend your position.

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]