Subject: Re: [FYI] Microsoft license spurns open source
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:32:47 -0700

begin Eric S. Raymond quotation of Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 11:55:58PM -0400:

> The best way to fight "shared source" is to point out that under Microsoft's
> license terms, it appears that any developer that looks at Microsoft's code
> makes his company subject to an IP-theft lawsuit if they ever develop software
> that competes with or resembles a Microsoft product.

Or service.  The service argument might be relevant for more
companies, since there are probably more companies considering
offering web-based email or a business directory than there are
companies considering writing a spreadsheet.

Tip for people who have to debate Microsoft employees about this:
print out a Microsoft EULA and hold it up.

On the subject of what you can or can't do with copyrighted
works...

The U. of Georgia's copyright policy --
http://www.peachnet.edu/admin/legal/copyright/copy.html -- states
"The copyright statute does not empower copyright holders to
override the fair use right by overbroad copyright notices or other
unilaterally imposed provisions."

I am a Ray Patterson fan: http://copyright.ala.org/pattersonq&a.html

http://zgp.org/~dmarti    -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.
dmarti@zgp.org    Free the Web, burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/