Subject: Fwd: Re: Lack of imagination?
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:24:06 -0300

Appologies, I didn't reply to all....

Subject: Re: Lack of imagination?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:20:41 -0300
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
To: Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com>

On Friday 29 June 2001 10:50, you wrote:
} > Recent statements from Microsoft seem to indicate that it is
} > important to Microsoft to fight against GPL'd code.
} >
} > But for a global, internet-based authentication and payments
} > system it is not enough what the code should be Free Software.
} > Also the system must be designed in a decentralized way that
} > effectively prevents any single company from controlling the
} > system and/or the data.
} >
} > This is one of the goals of the DotGNU project.  If you're
} > interested, join the mailing list at
} >
} > http://www.dotgnu.org/mailman/listinfo/developers
} >
} > Greetings, Norbert.
}
} Why does this project announcement give me the feeling that the open
} source world is lacking imagination?  Many open source projects look
} to me like they are trying to come up with an open implementation of
} something that's already available (or being developmed)
} commercially.
}
} Where are the open source projects that *innovate*?
}
} --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)
}
}
}

To kindly take exception, the above msg from norbert makes me think that it
will take great imagination to come up with a working, successful
implementation of this project that could *rival* MS's.

Innovative? Perhaps not.  Gutsy & requiring imagination to pull it off.
Hell, yeah!

--
  Steve Mallett | "Just Stable, Open-Source Apps."
  steve@opensourcedirectory.com | http://www.OpenSourceDirectory.org

  Member of OSDN's Community Sites: http://osdn.com/gallery.pl?type=community

  Help Wanted: Auto-update your app at SF, FM and OSD! At once!
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/trovesendtwo/