Subject: Re: Q: authentication system on OS? (with tangent)
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:19:42 +0100

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 08:52:41AM -0700, Glen Starchman wrote:
> I will give you that. The average customer is becoming more and
> more concerned with issues such as privacy.

I'm not sure that's true. Maybe the average slashdot reader or
the average commentator, but customers are still as apathetic as
ever - of course.

> > >The thought of a .GNU is almost ludicrous to me. For one, the
> > >components o .NET that the .GNU people on FreeDevelopers have
> > >choosen to concentrate on is essentially a Hailstorm clone.

Oh, don't take FreeDevelopers as representative of anything.

> MS is stepping in and saying to the consumer: "Okay, we
> can help you remember all of that information, and, hey, we
> promise to keep it secure."

MS ain't stupid. If what you say above, about people being more
privacy-conscious, was correct, then Hailstorm would be dead before
it started.

> The main problem with this approach is the casualties
> that result from the propaganda machines, namely the time and
> effort each camp puts into trying to make the other guy look evil
> is time that could be spent trying to reach goals.

Which is why MS are lucky in that they can pay one set of people to
make the other guy look evil, and another to make software.

--
It's much better to have people flaming in the flesh.  -Al Aho