Subject: Re: Lack of imagination?
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 06:43:27 +0200

Regarding free software and innovation, I still have a previous
exchange on this list in a mailbox accessible on the web:

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/patents/innovfree         212K
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/patents/innovfree.gz       50K

  identical up to zipping

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:59:06PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> I think the implementation innovation you mention is real.  In my own
> little project, I see that there are lots of genuine practical
> difficulties that have to be overcome, even when you have a "simple",
> "straightforward", "widely-known" idea.  (In our case, bootable rescue
> CDs with an OS distribution on them.  Plenty of people know "how
> bootable CDs work"; few have ever made an operating system run from
> one.)

 you know of the SuSE bootable CDROM ?

and before that the DemoLinux CDROM
  http://www.demolinux.org/

An interesting point, concerning DemoLinux, is that we found out that
some people who are windows users due to professional constraint, do
not bother installing Linux (which scares them) and run it regularly
from the CDROM.

  The computer is the CDROM

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX