Subject: Re: Lack of imagination?
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 22:07:25 -0300

I'd like to expand on the previous exchange.  I got to wondering over the
last week if Guido didn't have something.

Let me explain....

Underlying Assumption: In pioneering new ideas one of the most valuable
things a person can do is bounce those ideas off other people and enough
people to make it great.

To expose the inkling of a good idea is to open it up to the possibility of
its theft.  With innovative ideas can come pretty substantial Kudos. One of
the most valuable rewards in the community.

So I wonder if what kills the potential of an innovative end-product is the
fear of exposing the loss of the "Homesteading" of the idea by that person
with the first 'kernal' of the idea (excuse me).   By not exposing it to
enough people to turn the kernal-idea into a truely innovative one out of
fear of losing the prestige of being the "Homesteader"..... the idea or the
potential of the innovation is lost and/or never really turns into something
great as often as it could.[1]

So...is there a bottleneck here in the formation of innovative
free-and-opensource-community products?  Closed products go to great length
to protect innovative ideas & more to protect the revenue created from those
ideas from its possible theft.  Is there an opportunity here that can be
seized IF this bottleneck exists and can be eliminated?

I also wonder if this situation may be comparable to product innovation
inside a company.  For example, Employee Bob comes up with something, but
doesn't know if the people he needs to pull it together won't shut him out
when presenting it to the boss.   At least we can pick the people we work
with.

1) I take into account the frowned on practice of forking, but if the idea
isn't fully developed (let alone the code) yet are you really forking it?
People do get snakey when it comes to rewards & don't necessarily want to
share the glory.

-Steve