Subject: Re: Q: authentication system on OS? (with tangent)
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:38:03 +0200

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 08:52:41AM -0700, Glen Starchman wrote:

> Who do we really blame for Hailstorm? In my opinion, we have to
> blame the plethora of sites that demand authentication credentials
> when there is absolutely no need. For example, Amtrak requires a
> userid and password just to search schedules... that is utterly
> ludicrous. MS is stepping in and saying to the consumer: "Okay, we
> can help you remember all of that information, and, hey, we
> promise to keep it secure." Granted, I am sure they are not being
> altruistic, but they are indeed offering a much needed service.
> Why someone else, either proprietary or FS, hasn't already done
> this is beyond me.

I would think that for just this service, it is enough to have a
standard format for personnal information, which is automatically
transferred from your computer to the site, provided that the site
meets some preset criteria.
  AFAIK such a system is going to be implemented with the French
administration (well, it has been a bit patented by free software
people, so as to give the administration a crash course in software
patenting economics :-).

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX