Subject: Re: [ot?] Losing Sight of Initial Desires...
From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:07:43 -0400

Morbus Iff wrote:
 > [...]

> Suddenly, people I know are saying that I could charge money for it, cos
> hell, they'd pay. And shortly after throwing up a PayPal/Amazon
> micropayment page, I got a magical $10. $10! "A nice thank you!", I
> thought, but the thoughts turned dapper: "People would pay! People would
> pay!" The bug had set in, and I started thinking of money, money, money.
> Thus, the start of the conversation today.
> [...]

People saying they would pay and getting people to actually pay is sufficiently
different that sales and marketing people often make more money than
programmers.  Thus economics tells us that writing software is easier than
getting paid, whether the software be free or proprietary.  The nice thing
about free software is that you don't build up nearly the amount of unused
inventory that all the proprietary companies do (cause people can start using
it as soon as you release it).