Subject: Re: Artistic License Essay
From: Alessandro Rubini <rubini@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:43:10 +0200

> I have put together a very rough draft of what I hope to be a very good
> introduction and description of Perl's Original Artistic License.

Interesting, but I see two problems.

First, after reading it I still feel like I don't know what the
License requires from the user and from who modifies the program. I
think some more information wouldn't hurt, or people will still need
to read the license just like those who didn't read your document (so,
there's little advantage in reading it in its current state).

Second, please don't say the GPL is viral. I think "persistent" is a
better word. When I release my work according to the GPL I require the
license to persist in time. Since you need my consent to use my work
in your work, you either call me to get a different agreement or you
stick to what I grant everyone: GPL permissions. Conditions are on my
work, not yours. I see no viral behaviour here.

Sure you can use the word "viral" or any other word in your document,
but showing you have prejudices against one license doesn't make the reader
believe you when you describe another license.

/alessandro