Subject: licenses do hinder redistribution
From: bob@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 11:01:15 EST

       >>  If the price is very low, is that close enough to "free"?
   >
   > No.  The problem here is not the price, it is the ability to
   > redistribute the source.  Licensing agreements are a way of preventing
   > redistribution, and that means the program is not free.

   There is no real problem to distributing KCL source code--you can get
   even get a license by email.  The entire ACKL package is just such an
   item.

I checked into this several years ago and found that FSF may not
distribute KCL source code on tape or CD-ROM because of the license
and FSF does not want the complications with FTP distribution and
licensing with which Austin Code Works abides.

Also, several people have told me that they do not give copies of KCL
to friends or collegues because (a) they are license-abiding, and (b)
they don't want to be bothered with the hassle required to stay
license-abiding.

Any sort of obstacle reduces redistribution.  The people most hurt are
those who do not know how strongly they want a program but want to try it.

    Robert J. Chassell               bob@gnu.ai.mit.edu
    Rattlesnake Mountain Road        (413) 298-4725 or (617) 253-8568 or
    Stockbridge, MA 01262-0693 USA   (617) 876-3296 (for messages)