Subject: Re: the Free Software Movement in Industry
From: Seth Gordon <sethg@ropine.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 20:25:22 -0000

   [Tom Lord:]
   The competition _might_ be a little bit tougher.

What gives the billing-software companies any incentive to benefit
their competition -- even if the benefit is slight?

   On the other hand, the rules of the competition
   can easily say "You lose points if all you do is submit someone else's
   solution without adding value" or "The original authors get 10 extra
   points because we recognize the value in sustaining their operation."

What gives the telcos an incentive to include these rules in their
competition?

I agree that if everyone in the industry cooperated in this scheme, it
would be good *for the industry*.  However, you need to demonstrate
that every *individual firm in the industry* would be better off
cooperating than not.  Otherwise, your proposal looks like a one-shot
Prisoner's Dilemma.

--
"Rav would never cross a bridge when an idolator was on it; he said, 'Maybe he
will be judged and I will be taken with him.'  Shmuel would only cross a