Subject: Re: the Free Software Movement in Industry
From: Mark Eichin <eichin@thok.org>
Date: 25 Aug 2001 10:43:05 -0400

And what large/complex software system *doesn't* have a service
component?  After all, service can include integration (with customer
systems) and addition of customer-specific features, as well as
bug-fixing and end-user help.  So it was for Cygnus, and to a lesser
extent ACT (both of whom also made money on explicit development
contracts -- I get the impression that ACT was based more on the
latter given comments from the early days, though I don't know if that
is still true.)  Certainly the "we've got the key experts" aspect is
one of the things that makde Cygnus competitive against "we can
support it in-house."

Mekinok is trying to do the same in a different problem space (soft
infrastructure.)  So far we're mostly getting support/service interest
rather than development interest, which is not that surprising.

			_Mark_ <eichin@mekinok.com>
			Systems Engineering and Instant Infrastructure